Sunday, November 14, 2010

Setting the Tanks

Burr has been providing me with a bunch of help to get the tanks placed.   He chipped away the excess concrete footing material so that we could get the tank placed close to the side of the greenhouse, and we placed some concrete blocks in the bottom of each tank hole so that the tank would be level.  We filled in some excess dirt to hold the blocks in place.
Once the tank was level, we filled in the sides with excess soil.  The tanks will not move, especially when they are filled with water.  Each tank is almost 300 gallons, so that will weigh 1.25 tons for each tank.
I purchased some refurbished 55 gallon barrels, which I am going to use as sump tanks.  I am putting two barrels on each side and connecting them at the bottom so that the water level will rise together.  Each sump tank will contain a pump, so that the system will have redundancy.
We placed the tanks so that they would be below the top of the fish tanks and that they were level.
Here is the connector at the bottom of the two tanks.  I plan to put an overflow control on these sumps as well as a float valve that will allow me to have water added to the system if it gets too low.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

Glad to see some good progress. And thanks for reminding me how heavy a gallon of water is. Actually, I had to "do the math", I didn't believe it was that heavy! I guess I'll have to think twice, before adding another FT/GB to my GH (which I built on an old deck).

November 16, 2010 at 9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home