Monday, August 16, 2010

The Expensive Tomato

Welcome to my online journal documenting my latest folly - an attempt to produce the world's most expensive tomato.  Well, actually I have been interested in creating a year-round greenhouse vegetable garden.  After spending hours researching the topic, I have just pulled the trigger and committed myself to getting started by ordering the greenhouse.

I have decided to attempt to build an Aquaponics system, which is a combination of Aquaculture (raising fish in tanks) and Hydroponics (growing plants with nutrient rich water and no soil).  The idea is that the ammonia waste produced by the fish is converted into Nitrogen, which the plants absorb and then return clean water to the fish.  The system produces fresh fish and vegetables.

I am putting this online journal together to allow friends and family to see what I am doing.  I will document my progress along the way and I will explain more about the process.  Please leave comments and ask questions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home