Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Electric Meter

The electrician put in the meter box and circuit breaker panel today so that we can begin the process of getting electricity to my workshop and greenhouse.  This building is the size of a two car garage and it is where I have been storing all of my extra "stuff."  But there was never any electrical power brought to the building.  I have been researching solar power, but regardless of what I do with that, I need some good old grid power.
Now that the meter is set, and a single circuit has been run (see the wire coming out of the panel, it goes to a single outlet), we can get an inspector to come out and sign off.  Once this is complete, the electric company will come out and run a line to the building for me.  Finally I can hook up some lights and some tunes!

3 Comments:

Blogger Rich said...

You're good - I do all this stuff myself (no inspection, no nothing) - Someday it's going to bite me in the butt!

September 22, 2010 at 11:16 PM  
Blogger Jon Ezrine said...

Rich, I might not be as good as you suggest. I didn't permit the greenhouse. I needed the electric company to run the main line to my meter and so there was no way around it. I can handle the electrical from the circuit breakers.

September 23, 2010 at 7:14 AM  
Blogger Rich said...

Excellent, I feel much better that you didn't pay the municipality, just to add on a greenhouse. Our little city is currently having a stink (bad choice of words ;) about chickens. Turns out they have a law, that you're suppose to pay ~$3K to get a permit to have chickens in the city. None of us every did that, or even knew about it. Now they are trying to make the law "more reasonable" by proposing a $100/yr charge to have up to 4 hens, and you have to keep them in their coop! Give me a break! Talk about expensive tomatoes. Our yard is totally fenced in and we let our 3 girls have at it. They are happy campers and reward us with 3 eggs/day. OK, I'll settle down now....

September 24, 2010 at 10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home