Sunday, September 19, 2010

Murray Hallam Lecture

Today was the Aquaponics lecture by Murray Hallam at the Denver Botanical Gardens.  Murray is from Brisbane, Australia and is one of the top Aquaponics gurus in the world.  It was his videos that originally got me interested in researching this in the first place.  He has a very down to earth way of explaining everything at a practical level and he has a great sense of humor.  Check out the trailer for one of his key videos here.
The program was for 6 hours including lunch, and it was very interactive.  I was able to show Murray my plans and get some good feedback on my system.  Others asked some great questions also that I hadn't been smart enough to ask.  Coming out of this session, I feel more confidant about my system plans.
After the lecture, we drove over to the Colorado Aquaponics GrowHaus to see the system that is being built by JD Sawyer.  This setup is pretty inspiring.  Basically received some grant money to put together a greenhouse system in a depressed neighborhood in Denver with the goal to help provide good, affordable food in the middle of a "food desert."  Murray had some good practical advice for the set up.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Murray Hallam said...

Great blog. I loved my visit with you in Denver.

October 9, 2010 at 9:33 PM  
Blogger Jon Ezrine said...

Thanks, Murray. I learned a lot.

October 9, 2010 at 10:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home